SA Road Trip: Day 1

Last night a group of coworkers and myself embarked on a business trip to San Antonio.  We decided to rent and drive a minivan down rather than fly, due to costs / difficulties associated with flying, especially since we had to bring a bit of hardware for this trip.  I took it upon myself to drive, since I have motion sickness as a passenger.

Since yesterday was "Steal a base, steal a taco" day, we hit several Taco Bell restaurants on the way down.  We hit one in Hillsboro, two in Temple, and one in Belton.  We arrived to the last one at 4:55, 5 minutes before the free taco deadline.  It was surprisingly adventurous, and hopefully the Linguist will get the video edited and posted to YouTube sometime tonight.

The trip took about 5.5 hours, which is still pretty good time considering our TB excursions. We got checked into the Hotel, then went to dinner down on the Riverwalk.  Mexican food was absolutely out of the question, but in San Antonio that severely limits your dining options.  We were finally lured into a tiny Italian place by gaudy holiday lights.  There were about 8 tables inside, of which we occupied 2. It just so happened that our arrival corresponded with the beginning of a belly dancer's performance, of which we were highly encouraged to watch and be entertained.  The result was that I was annoyed more than anything else, and really just wanted to eat and leave.

Eventually we did eat, and we did leave.  We stopped by a pub along the way back, and enjoyed beers and healthy conversation in the open air along the river.  When I sat down to have a beer, my initial thought was, "I'm out of town, so they probably won't have Shiner Bach."  Of course my you're a dumbass reflex reminded me that we are still in Texas, and in fact much closer to Shiner, TX than in Dallas, and I got one on draft. TJ ordered some frys in curry sauce, which was damn good snackin'.

No comments: