Delegation, Part 1

6:30 on a Saturday mor[snooze]...

6:37 on a Saturday mor[snooze]...

6:44 on a Saturday morning. "I really shouldn't have stayed up to watch last night's Woot!," I thought as my throbbing brain pushed my limp body out of bed. What is wrong with these people that they start at 8:00am? I stumbled over to the shower and started the water running.

At 7:03 I was up and rockin' towards the door. A quick drop by the bank to get money for parking, then a quick soda at the Golden Arches, and I'd be meeting up behind the Pea with the rest of the crazies. I pulled into the perpetually near-empty parking lot and glimpsed a few citizens mingling amongst some cars behind the deprecated restaurant. My car slid easily into an open spot, and I stepped outside into the hazy morning air for the first time.

"You with us?" asked a middle-aged black woman in an Acura SUV.

"I think so."

"Well get on in this car, honey. Where's your coat?"

Grandma Dee had rightly pointed out that I was a bit under-dressed for the current weather conditions. I knew it was a bit nippy outside, but I figured that later when I was to be huddled around like a bunch of penguins fighting off an Antarctic icestorm, a coat might be a bit uncomfortable and cumbersome. I reached for the doorhandle and pulled myself inside.

"I'm Grandma Dee -- here, read this" she insisted as she pulled from a stack of month-old school newsletters and plopped a copy down in my lap. "Turn to page 10. That'll tell you all about me."

Sure enough, that one-page article told me all I'd ever need to know about Grandma Dee. She was the featured employee of the month for one of the local community colleges. An Eagle Scout, operator of several non-profit charity groups, with a Master's Degree in social services, she was quite accomplished. I maintained my stoic pose as she socialized with some recent arrivals.

"Wow, Grandma Dee, is there anything you haven't done?" inquired one who'd obviously just finished reading the tabloid.

Shortly our coordinator arrived, and we started arranging transport. "Do you want a ride down there?" Dee asked.

"Sure, that'd be cool." I cringed when the words came out of my mouth -- "cool"? You'd think my vocabulary could be a bit more sophisticated amongst such company.

"Alright, but I may need you to help with directions."

"Sure," I said, struggling intently not to repeat the immature phrase. "I know how to get down there."

I remained silent as the newcomer amongst a group who obviously knew each other decently well. A few more vehicles arrived, and eventually we concluded that our entire membership was accounted for and ready to caravan. Another passenger jumped into our van, and we began driving towards the highway.

(continued ...)

No comments: