Delegation, Part 2

(Read Part 1 frst...)

"Exit here."

"Here?"

"Yes!" I declared, with the added emphasis of the change lanes hand motion. I'm sure it's not standard ASL, but anyone who's ever featured me as a back seat driver has seen it.

"Ok, exit 4, I see it now."

Aside from a little heavier than expected traffic, and the select bunch of Formula1 enthusiasts who like to practice their skillz on 75, the trip was quiet and insignificant. After taking exit 4 we proceeded down a few more blocks before turning right onto the university campus. Rounding the corner, we immediately realized that today was going to be a very long day.

Two exceedingly long lines of automobiles snaked from the mouth of the tiny garage we'd been instructed to park in. Slowly and steadily the cars filed in, one from the east followed by one from the west, ad infinitum. Fifteen minutes later Grandma Dee's SUV crossed the boulevard and into the building.

"Oh, we have to pre-pay?" asked Dee when confronted immediately by a parking attendant.

"Yes ma'am, it's five bucks."

"Oh, ok!" She rummaged through her enormous pearl handbag. "Do you have change for a fifty?"

For such a diminutive looking building, the garage had quite a few floors. After spiraling up a few levels looking for a handicapped spot, Dee decided to go her own way, quite literally, down a one-way passage. Ignoring shouts from a couple of pedestrians we found a cute spot near the elevators.

"I hope we remember where we parked," I said, knowing that I'd most likely not be catching this ride on the return trip.

"Hold on, honey. I can't walk as fast as you guys." In our eagerness to reach the elevator, we had significantly outdistanced Grandma Dee. We took a few steps back, and then resumed at a more relaxed pace. "I just had hip replacement surgery, so I can't move like I used to..."

Shortly before reaching the elevator doors other members of our Pea caravan merged into our clique, and we got into the elevator. As the doors closed behind us we heard running footsteps. I quickly pulled the door back to allow Harry in. The doors closed fully and the compartment descended. We exited the room on the ground floor, and rounded a corner to exit the building.

Waiting for us was a huge mass of penguins, huddled together waiting for the storm.

(continued ...)

No comments: