Gap Shooting

This July, as with the previous 4 years, has been crazy as hell.  I've been putting in somewhere between 10-14 hours of work each weekday, and slightly fewer (8-10) on the weekends. We have fewer developers than in years past, and last week we lost one to the hospital due to stress-induced illness. I'd like to think that I'm close to 100% recovered from my medical issues, but I am still occasionally distracted by the pain of my scars.

My normal 7am to 9pm awake schedule is completely blown. I've been getting up around 9:30 and not going to bed until at least midnight. Last night was particularly bad on my sleep schedule. After getting home at around 11:30, I decided to peruse the web for 30ish minutes until today's lame Woot! update and then head to bed. Unfortunately I got tangled up in Gravity Pods.  I finally ended up calling it quits around 2am after my mind was so tired that it could not comprehend the playing board (somewhere around level 45, I think).

It may be a rash generalization, but I'm pretty sure all the stupid drivers do all of their business starting shortly after 10am.  I left the house at 10:05 this morning, and in my 10-minute drive to work I saw no less than two Crazy Ivans and one Mile-wide-gap shooter.  I'm so ready for a flying car, provided that I'm the only one allowed to have one.

A few more days of work madness and I'll be able to relax for at least 2 weeks until school starts again.

I wish the GMail WYSIWYG editor had superscript, so that these could be properly cited above:
1.  Crazy Ivan (n) -  Driver who has no idea of the direction in which their final destination lies, and rapidly changes across multiple lanes at the last second to catch their exit / turn.  (ref: The Hunt for Red October (1990))

2.  Mile-wide-gap shooter (n) - A person making an unprotected left turn across a medianed thoroughfare who insists on quickly and aggressively reaching the median even though there is no traffic coming from their left for at least a mile.  The more rational driver would simply wait until the cross traffic from the right was also clear and just make a normal turn, instead of scaring the piss out of the cross traffic by almost hitting them. 

No comments: